How to check your fireplace for carbon monoxide

How to Check Your Fireplace for Carbon Monoxide?

If you’re considering installing a new fireplace or wood burner in your home, it’s crucial to understand the potential risks associated with carbon monoxide. This harmful gas can be produced by burning fuels such as wood, gas, and oil, and if not properly ventilated, it can build up in your home and cause serious health problems. It’s essential to be fully informed about carbon monoxide, its dangers, and how to protect yourself and your family from its harmful effects. Let’s take a closer look at the basics of carbon monoxide safety.

What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas created when carbon-containing fuels, like wood, coal, or natural gas, are burned incompletely. When there is an insufficient oxygen supply during the burning process, carbon monoxide is produced instead of carbon dioxide. Unlike carbon dioxide, a natural byproduct of combustion and relatively harmless in small quantities, carbon monoxide is highly poisonous. It can cause serious health problems or even death in high concentrations. It’s important to ensure that fuels are burned completely, and that proper ventilation is maintained to prevent the buildup of carbon monoxide in your home.

How to check your fireplace for carbon monoxide:

Ensuring the safety of your home and family is essential, and one potential threat that homeowners should be aware of is carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas produced by the incomplete combustion of fuels such as wood, coal, and natural gas. It can build up in your home if proper ventilation is not maintained, and in high concentrations, it can cause serious health problems or even death.

Install a carbon monoxide detector:

Installing a carbon monoxide detector is one of the most critical steps in checking your fireplace. This device will alert you if carbon monoxide levels in your home become dangerously high, allowing you to take prompt action to protect yourself and your family. Carbon monoxide detectors are easy to install and should be placed in central locations throughout your home.

Check for proper ventilation:

Proper ventilation is critical in preventing the buildup of carbon monoxide in your home. Your fireplace should have a flue or chimney to allow for the safe escape of combustion gases. If you notice any blockages or damage to the ventilation system, have it repaired immediately to ensure your fireplace is safe.

Inspect your fireplace regularly:

Regular inspections of your fireplace are essential to ensure that it is safe to use. Look for signs of damage or wear and tear, such as cracks or gaps in the chimney or flue, and any loose or damaged bricks or mortar. If you notice any issues, have them addressed promptly by a professional.

Hire a professional for maintenance:

You should have your fireplace professionally inspected and cleaned at least once a year. A professional can ensure that your fireplace is in good working condition and that potential carbon monoxide risks are addressed. They can also clean your chimney to prevent the buildup of creosote, a highly flammable substance that can cause chimney fires.

How to prevent carbon monoxide leaks and poisoning:

Below are some tips that can help you keep your home and family safe and to prevent the dangerous effects of carbon monoxide leaks from your fireplace:

Ensure Proper Ventilation:

Ensure that any rooms containing a fire or stove are well-ventilated and that no ventilation is blocked. Proper ventilation helps in the safe escape of combustion gases and prevents the buildup of carbon monoxide.

Regular Chimney Cleaning:

Regular cleaning of your chimney is necessary to ensure it is free of blockages and any damage. Blocked or damaged chimneys can cause carbon monoxide in your home.

Professional Fireplace Installation:

It’s essential to have your fireplace installed by a trained, qualified professional. For instance, all gas fire fitters must be registered with the Gas Safe Register.

Regular Appliance Servicing:

Ensure that all appliances are serviced regularly by professionals and are in good working order. Faulty appliances can produce carbon monoxide and put your family at risk.

Install a Carbon Monoxide Detector:

Installing a carbon monoxide tester and alarm is recommended, which can detect the presence of carbon monoxide in your home. Test it regularly to ensure it works effectively.

Avoid Sleeping in a Room with an Unflued Gas Fire:

If you have an unfluted gas fire in a room, it’s best not to sleep there.

Choose a Gas Fire with Safety Features:

When selecting a gas fire, choose one with built-in safety features such as a Flame Supervision Device (FSD) that prevent the uncontrolled release of gas unless there’s a flame and an Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS) that shuts off the gas supply in case of a fault.

Don’t Leave Ash in Your Stove or Open Fire:

Ash produces carbon monoxide, and even though the amount is usually minimal, it’s best not to take any chances. Avoid leaving the ash in your stove or open fire for too long.


Q1: How do I know if my fireplace is leaking carbon monoxide?

A: A foul odor, such as the smell of rotten eggs, is a clear sign of a gas leak. You should also be alert for hissing or whistling sounds indicating a leak. Examine the area around your fireplace for dust, debris, or other signs of a leak. If you have an outdoor gas line, check for dead or yellowed grass and plants, which could indicate a gas leak.

Q2: How can I test myself for carbon monoxide?

A: A reliable method to detect the presence of carbon monoxide gas in your home is to use a carbon monoxide detector equipped with an alarm. Many building codes mandate the installation of carbon monoxide detectors. These devices are the easiest way to monitor and alert you to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide inside your home.

Summing up:

When using a fireplace or heating appliances that burn carbon-containing fuels, it is essential to prioritize safety measures to protect your home and loved ones. Since carbon monoxide is a colorless, it is almost impossible to detect without the proper equipment. That’s why installing a carbon monoxide detector and alarm in your home and having your heating appliances regularly serviced by qualified professionals are highly recommended. Additionally, ensure that the rooms with fire or stove have good ventilation and all appliances are in good working condition.

Leave a Reply